Monday, November 4, 2013

Being a missionary...


Hermana Shae Bennett, Perú Lima East Mission, June 19, 2013-December 2014


As of right now, I only have a few precious months of experience as a missionary. However, there are some things I have learned that, knowing such, I will never be the same.

The first is the protection that comes from our obedience. As missionaries, we are "dedicated," or set apart, to proclaim the word of God. We are given authority to preach His gospel. But, this authority can only be present when we obey the commandments upon which it is based. I have felt this Heavenly protection as I have left my home to come to a foreign country and converse almost constantly with strangers. There are times when I realize that God and His angels are in fact protecting me from the dangers that are constantly at work against me, both spiritual and physical. I can feel that power, and I know that I am only entitled to it when I am obedient to the commandments of God and the inspired rules from my mission president. There is a reason for every single rule, whether we understand it or not. Just be obedient! Not blindly, but faithfully.

The second is that MIRACLES HAPPEN. They happen all the time! I have had prayers answered, sometimes instantly. I have been fasting for something, and then seen the answer appear even before I've finished fasting. I've seen people change their lives. I've seen them offer their first prayers to talk to their Heavenly Father. I've seen them understand His love for them when they hadn't before. I've seen them gain a testimony of this Restored Gospel, as marvelous and maybe unbelievable as it might seem. And I've seen them take steps to show that they are ready to take upon them the name of Christ. Most of all (and maybe this is a little selfish of me to say) I've seen a miraculous change in myself. A lot of time I spend worrying about my faults, the things I don't do well as a missionary, the fact that I can't speak the language well, the times I feel I'm not being guided by the Spirit... But, every once in a while, when I take the time to look at myself now compared to myself before I left home, I realize how far I have come with the help of the Lord. I see how much my testimony has grown, how much bigger my capacity to love is, how I am slowly learning how to be more like my Savior. Miracles are happening within my own being. They happen every day! Take the time to see them, and to give thanks for them. Take a few moments every day to see the miracles that are happening in yourself. When you do this, you'll realize why you're on a mission.




The scripture cases i bought for my bday that finally came!








My new companion Hna. Rubio! It's crazy how much love I have for her already, and it's only been a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment