Sunday, July 28, 2013

I am so happy that my face hurts from smiling

July 11, 2013

Hola!

This week has been full of ups and downs, but looking back, it's really been SO great.

Some highlights:

--conversation between the two elders in my district: "It's been 3 weeks since I hugged a girl." "The last girl I hugged was my mom..." These two elders are like phil and luke dunphy when they're together. I seriously spend most of my time here laughing with them. My district is the best district that ever existed, and somehow we got blessed to have the best teachers at the CCM (MTC). The teachers all like to say, "Que en el freaking mundo!" ha ha ha i think they're actually kind of making fun of us North Americans...

--so there's a volleyball net set up on the lawn here. We have tournaments. and they're AWESOME. I'm actually not too bad. We get an hour of physical time every day, so I'll probably be like Misty May status by the time i leave.

--My hair. okay, it's really not a highlight, but it's kind of hilarious at how much of an afro i have here. Humidity is real, people.

--I really am so so happy. I can't tell you how many times a day my face actually hurts from smiling. Of course there are times I feel overwhelmed, but this is where i need to be right now.

So here's the lowdown on the CCM: My group was the first time that there has been this many sister missionaries here! there are 2 elders in my district and 8 sisters. We (the hermanas) kind of are taking over this place. People here are going to missions on places like peru, bolivia, ecuador, dominican republic, etc. It's kind of cool becuase I'm actually in my mission (Lima East) right now.

The latinos that come to this ccm are here for about a week and a half (like those who are staying in the states who go the the provo mtc), so we're going to see three different groups of latinos while we're here. Next week, my group is going to be the "advanced" group ha which really just means we've been here the longest. Honestly though, I am amazed at how fast we are all learning spanish. Sometimes, i beat myself up about not being able to speak fluently, but then I'm like, "Hermana Bennett, you've been here for like 3 weeks." It'll come. sometimes, i even have a hard time writing in English now! It's weird.

This Saturday, they are actually turning us loose to go proselyting. like, outside the walls of the CCM. So i'm terrified. But also excited. Whenever we go out for P days, I just look around and think, "these are my people!" They're so beautiful.

I want to share a quote i read from Howard W. Hunter: "Repentance is but a homesickness of the soul." As I have been studying here, I've been feeling this kind of yearning for home. It's weird though, because it's not for my home in Utah (although I do miss and think of you guys every day). It's like I'm realizing how much i want to return home to My Heavenly Father. I really am amazed at how much closer i feel like I am getting to my Savior and Father in Heaven. I know that it's happening because I am doing their work.

One thing I just want you to know: As I was doing personal study the other day, I came across a story in the Ensign where a man was upset with god because his son had a life threatening disease. As he was angry with god, an answer came to him from Heavenly Father that said, "He's my son too."If you guys ever get worried about me over here, just remember Who i have looking over me. That is what keeps me from worrying about all of you at home :)

Well, that's about all i have for this week! Thanks for all of your emails, i wish i could do handwritten letters, but about one third of the missionaries get their letters here :( Also, it can get pretty cold! if anyone asks for your advice about lima peru, tell them to bring scarves and a jacket ha. K, LOVE YOU!

--Hermana Bennett



first: my amazing district. they seriously make my time here so fun.





 second: one of our teachers, hmo gonzalez. his favorite english word: "freaking".


No comments:

Post a Comment